Sunday, August 2, 2009

Week 2/3

Hey everyone,

So Ive been here for over two weeks now and Ive just completed my orientation. I begin teaching next week. I’m pretty nervous but excited at the same time. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I get to move out of my host family’s house and into my own place. I’m going to be living in a smaller village just outside of Kolonia. The house is pretty big and ill be living with two other volunteers.
This past weekend I was able to do some hiking, exploring, and snorkeling all around the island. On Saturday we climbed up Sokehs Ridge which overlooks the airport and Kolonia. The picture below is me at the top. It was pouring the entire way up and that is why I am completely soaked. After hiking to the top of the ridge we were able to do some exploring in the jungle. We found some old Japanese bunkers and cannons from WWII. If you look below you can see the huge guns that are just sitting in the middle of the jungle. It was really cool getting to see these giant cannons and explore some of the bunkers where Japanese soldiers were hiding. In some of the bunkers you can see some Japanese writing on the walls.
On, Sunday I went to one of the outer islands of Pohnpei. My host family has a cousin who lives on one of the islands and he invited us to go visit. So we got to do some great snorkeling and hiking in the jungle. When I was snorkeling in the deeper water I ran into a manta ray. It was not a huge one but it was really cool getting to swim next to a manta ray. The area where I was swimming was a breeding ground/ feeding area for the manta rays so they tend to hang around there. The family who lives on the island has invited us to come back sometime this week. Hopefully ill be able to learn how to spear fish or something like that.
I guess that’s it for now. Ill have a more reliable internet connection in about a week so ill try to get some more pictures on here.

Tyler


2 comments:

  1. The view from the top of that peak is amazing. It's really neat seeing the cannons. Have you stopped sweating yet? I guess it doesn't really matter since it's so humid. Good luck with your teaching. Love, Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see a picture of you. Gosh, I remember WWII, having been born in 1933. I was wondering whether you would find such artifacts. I know you will do well in your teaching, just have confidence. We have had rain every other day, but I was able to get out and play golf today. Had an e-mail from Eric about the paint for the barn roof. I had sent him questions and he gave me a prompt reply. Now I have to figure out whether I can afford it. Tim and Family and Phil and Evelyn will be here soon. Then there will be three other mountain bikers arriving. Haven't figured out where I am going to put them. I have just so many beds. But they know what they are up against, so maybe they will bring a tent. I hope so. Thanks so much for the pictures. Just seeing you makes me feel good. Love, Grandma R.

    ReplyDelete